Sunday, April 24, 2005

Of Dogfood and Indiscriminate Trash disposal...

Was talking to Shaun today after our lunch in the kitchen...when we'd both gotten really 'sian' of mugging (Him of Engine stuff, and I of Philo).
Talk centred around the prospect of finding an eligible mate. Neither of us could say what was it with people around us (though a faint glimmer in his eye sparkled, as we changed topics...Hope perhaps?). This time, we tried hovering to the explanation for such a phenomenon of not-having found 'the special someone'. Probably one thing that we could both agree on was that - we are both 'Sian' ("Bored" of our lives...bored of whatever that's happening in the world). Shaun suggested that, unless One has done something about the situation, and has been shown 'signs of negative progress going at a constant for a sustained period of time' - parallel to the situation of a perfectly sane person feeling really miserable, revving up his engine of his car, and driving it straight into a concrete wall at 100 km/h - then One should not have the reason to feel 'Sian'. He therefore thought my 'sianness' was unjustified.
Of course, I thought otherwise. How else could I explain this lousy feeling I've been getting the whole fortnight? Hah. Had to tell him, that 'sian' doesn't necessarily have to begotten from being outrightly rejected. It comes from other things. Like looking around you, in a crowded foodcourt, and seeing those same, bored faces, day-in-day-out - all tired, all asking the same unanswered Question. All being left unanswered. Shaun could rightly agree with me on that.
Well, moving on...some dark humour was on its way, in the form of my analogy to dogfoods on the market. "Brand X dogfood had great packaging...but just may not appeal in the same way as Brands A, B, or even, C from other countries", Shaun said. I had to add, "Well, Brand X, with all its fancy trimmings and stuff on the labels - is probably contrived. Coercive methods to make us believe its 'good' for the dog. I mean, just LOOK at some of the dogfood on the market. Even I WOULDN'T eat it." Yet on the OTHER hand, there's always stuff like "Pedigree" and who-knows-what (I don't have a dog by the way, it IS an analogy after all!). And the adverts always make the consumer who wants to buy for his dog look at the product, because it attracts the 'discerning dog-owner'. Maybe I'm discerning? Maybe I'm taken in by advertising? Maybe...I'm one who goes for the packaging. Whatever. The point is, that no matter how much good stuff (Vitamins, minerals, and other free doggy toys) that you can get out of a can of Brand X, its still going to be Brand X - Even if something is done to spice up its image. Yeah, like maybe, "Cheongsam-clad dogfood" as Shaun agreed with me. *all sarcasm INTENDED* haha.
Ah great. I've just managed to rave on...about another totally seemingly pointless conversation. But then again, don't we all?

 Posted by Hello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home