Saturday, May 28, 2005

My Surprise Party: Part Deux

To all those involved in giving me the time of my life on the 23rd May which just happened on Monday...THANK YOU so much! =)
Had brought Rachel to go a practice drive before her test on Tues. And had allowed her to drive to Sam's home to pick him up. Strangely, she told me she needed to use the toilet, so of course...the nearest was the most obvious choice. Told her to turn in to a nearby Chicken rice coffee shop and use the washroom there. When she had gotten in...she gave me the shock of my life when she made firstly, a 3 lane change (From the left most to the right most), followed by driving in the right most lane at 10 km/h!! Proceeding to Sam's house...he appeared at the carpark, inviting us up, saying we had not seen the pad yet. Not thinking too much...I agreed with this SEEMINGLY innocent gesture. =P (Which turned out to be the beginning of my 'downfall'). haha
Entered to a rather quiet flat. I noticed first, the huge projection screen on the wall, as well as the Chinese MTVs being played continuously. The living room seemed rather spartan...which is good by my standards because I am not one for clutter. I would have lingered on, fiddling with the television and karaoke remote controls - hoping that my favourite Jacky Cheung songs would play (to no avail) - had the two of them (Rach and Sam) insisted that I took a look at his room. Yeah sure, why not, since I'm already here, thought I.
The room did seem a tad dimly lit, with the curtains/blinds drawn. A mysterious warm glow seemed to be emitted from a corner out of my field of vision as I approached the doorway. Taking my first step into the room, a pleasant cool brushed past my feet. The aircon must have been turned off just, perhaps the Hongkie only JUST got up, pondered I as I advanced. THEN it hit me. It WAS my birthday afterall. No one from this clique of good friends had bothered to do anything/say anything to me. There was something strange going on...
"PSSSSSSTTTT!!!!" went the canister, as streams of sticky cold aerosol streamer flew onto my face. "SURPRISE!!" went Elvin, and the rest of the gang, as they proceeded to empty the remainder of the can onto me. Was really joyous and happy…and was extremely touched that the entire gang had made the effort to organise such a party for me. Chels and Shaun had selected a book of poems and (of course!), the Constantine comic book for me (with aid from Nic). Chels also chose a fantabulous chill CD (I’ve listened to it 5 or 6 times now…and I think the starting is the best…the mellow bass and piano keys hitting the right notes).
Abdul and Daryl got me an M113 APC model...which I’ve almost finished making (except for the tracks…which are supposed to be individually assembled). Yeah…that has taken my mind off things for abit.
Joyce was such a dear, and gave me…of all things…two books! Haha The first, was “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory”, which she says will help me “relive my childhood”. The second book, was one you’d probably get for a 2 year old…with huge words, colourful pictures, and a squeaky thing in the centre you could squeeze that goes ‘BEEP!’ I couldn’t help but press the ‘beeper’ everytime I turned the page. Heh…call me a kid or anything, but I’m a sucker for such stuff. =P
Jules (who sadly is still in China on the Sino-Singapore exchange), had given me a present with the instructions to open it only on my birthday. Yup…I found she had presented me a book entitled “Representations of Women in Singapore” (I hope I got that correct)…with a mighty interesting cover depicting nude women in the “see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil” poses. It’s a wonder the authorities let this book go on shelves…with its R-ratedness in full graphic form!!…hahah Jokes aside, I think the book has some very good articles (judging from the contents) about various issues, from the traditional notion of women in the past, to that of the various roles women in Singapore are tasked or assigned to take up.
Rach and Nic bought me this t-shirt which looked MIGHTY familiar…cos I had said it looked “cool” when we were out at Junction 8 one day. Has this interesting design of Christ’s face that can only be seen at a particular angle, with the words “Who do you think I am?” on the bottom. Really meaningful Christian message…put forth in a creative way. Thanks Dears! =)
Yes…last, but not least…my dear Mum and Brother went all the way to Royal Sporting House and got me a Puma jacket. Which would have been swell…till I realised that it was hanging off my limbs. It turned out that, my mum not knowing my size, had gotten my Third bro (who’s only Sec 3…but so much taller than me) to try out the jacket. SO he chose a jacket which fit HIM…conveniently!!
Yup…On other news…I’ve been asked for an interview for the Student Mentorship Programme this coming Thursday. Yeah, say that I’m idealistic and naïve…but I’ve felt strongly that ever since I made it to Uni, I haven’t done anything useful for society. Yes, I am on a Government scholarship…which technically means I am or WILL BE serving in the civil service in future…but that doesn’t belie the fact that till then, I’ll be a mere student (a digit, even, if you may) in this repetitive mundane system…churning out essays, projects…to gain the final results so crucial for a good degree scroll. I know grades are important. But to me, there are greater things out there to be seen, beyond the tips of our noses. Yes, if you’d like, this is the idealistic reason why I ‘signed on’ as a Regular (other than the various reasons which some close friends may know…and I can assure all those people who stereotype Regulars to be those who “Bo Tak Chek” and “sign on for the money only” can be soundly disappointed when they know about my reasons). To do this mentorship programme would allow me to contribute in a meaningful and practical way to society – something which I’ve always seen essential to the basis of human life. If we all merely go in search of our grades, money, food, shelter, and water, then aren’t we all just animals in LV clothes, strutting with Ray-Ban sunglasses? Surely the essence of human compassion to feel and discern the meaningful from the mechanistic mundanity is what warrants our humanity? Yes, I’ve heard of the stresses which a friend has shared with me about. But I think that having gone through the Singaporean curriculum…with 4 ECAs in JC on top of leadership roles in school…and still having made it to Uni…makes me able to take up this challenge once more. A little stress never killed anyone, eh? ‘sides…I feel myself being very idle…in a spiritual, mental, physical sense…and need to perk myself up with the prospect of perking others up. Haha…
Yup..wish me well (or if you’d like…wish my future mentee well too!) =P

2 Comments:

Blogger jules said...

hey dearie, you know, i always regretted missign your bday... let's have another party next year! ;)

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 9:54:00 AM  
Blogger Nian Long said...

You Read my Blog!! Thanks Jules! =)
Next year? will ya be back in time to spray me with aerosol stuff? =P

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 1:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home