Saturday, May 28, 2005

Optimism? Pessimism? "Manic Depression"? hah.

I've been pondering these terms for a long time. Too long, I should add. It gnaws at my insides...like an acidic reagent, clawing its way out of my body. The Oxford English Dictionary say that to be 'optimistic' is to be "inclined to take a favourable view of circumstances, and to hope for the best; hopeful and confident about the future". And pessimism, well...what do you know... is defined as "The tendency or disposition to look at the worst aspect of things; the habit of taking the gloomiest view of circumstances: antithetical to OPTIMISM". Great.
I must REALLY seem like a dreadful pessimist, now don't I? Talking about these things...at what, 9:30 in the morn? Yeah, I'm probably in one of my manic depressive moods...like an old friend once said to me...a long long time ago. Even cast me into one of the roles in a play she wrote. Said I fit it to a 'T'. Haha. Then again, she may have been absolutely prophetic. Read somewhere that people born in the early months of the year have a larger incidence of suffering from schizophrenia and bipolar disorder (AKA Manic depression). Well, my starsign is characterised best for its link to split personalities...something which I used to shun and ignore...but in recent times (due to certain events happening)...have realised "Mr Hyde", as I call him coming to the fore.
I've said this before...will say it again. Sometimes, looking at the world through tinted glass makes it all seem so Oz-like. Remember the Emerald City, and how the city-folk were made to believe that IF (heaven forbid) they took off their green-tinted glasses and looked at the Wizard and his city, they would meet with a horrible end. Otherwise, they could continue wearing their green-specs and live their lives fully. I question the world and its nuances. I wonder, sometimes: Are we actually looking at the world through green-glasses? Is our vision skewed to see a beautiful Emerald City, where everything shimmers green and verdant, a luxuriant Paradiso? Or are we merely afraid to make the first move, and take the specs off, to see the world for what it truly is - the World.
I do not agree with those who hide behind their big-booming voice-projection machines, working huge bellows to blow smoke out of a huge head in their City's throne-room - so as to give others the impression of their "Wizardly-ness". What's WITH the facade? The "false face"? If we are all friends, who needs enemies? But then again, the converse is something to think about. If everyone is an enemy, what friends are there left to make? Suspicion, deceit, corruption, despair - some things which may never be vanquished from the face of this earth. For they have co-existed alongside humankind, as soon as the serpent offered us the fruit. And they will not leave us till we leave this mortal plain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home