Saturday, April 30, 2005

Lamentations in the wind

Had 3 out of my 4 papers this week. As always, they could really have been better. I felt much was wanting as I handed up my 19th Century Lit script (Especially since I had written much more for a 10 mark qn compared to a 40 mark qn). My "How Tech Works" paper was surprisingly easier than I expected...no calculations involved. Just a load of qualitative application of Physical concepts (i.e. "Your friend Ross says an engine with high compression ratio is more efficient than one with a low compression ratio. Do you agree with his statement and why?"). Yup.
Yeah, there're definitely my friends who have finished their exams already. An SMU buddy of mine, Jonathan, called me two days ago asking for my address, cos he's applying for an internship of sorts and needs "referees of character". If I was done...I'd be doing something more meaningful with my life too. Like try to get together a 100 word biography, select eight interesting poems - and send them in for a poetry competition I've been eyeing. There's other things too. Like searching for a respectable publisher to consider publishing my works. Idealistic? We gotta start SOMEWHERE.
Didn't join Rach, Shiyang and Ricky last night for dinner. Felt I had to stay back...get some mugging in...cos I'm already going out today for a good deal of the day (and night). Yeah, I'm really immersed in this sad lifestyle of books and notes. This perverse desire for the final letters of my modules, rather than the content of my studies. Life, it seems, is more than what Tom Hanks said in "Forrest Gump". Life in our world today can be so diverse - with a good deal more scientists, lawyers, writers, engineers - and yet, it can be so simple at the same time. Life.
Perhaps you all who are reading this should take a look at "Monty Python and the Meaning of Life". I've admired that bunch of actors (John Cleese and gang) for their ability to portray life's nuances and stumbling blocks, the huge mysteries which are actually simply-solved crossword puzzles; all in a manner that the common-folk like you and me would find funny, and yet hauntingly true.
As a student, I say definitely my priorities lie in my studies. NO two hoots about that. But still, I would say that some sociological akinness bears upon all students around the world, upon their completion of exams. They seem to burst out of the school into the yard, and into the world beyond with new-found energy, like butterflies from their chrysalis'. Perhaps its an inate desire for one to rebel and break free like Queen sang. I wouldn't be surprised. I want to break free.
Will try to break free and disappear as soon as my last paper ends on Tuesday. Yes, I will have my Special Semester modules to deal with. Yes, I will have to come back on Wednesday and Friday to meet some friends to get our BBQ stuff in order for Friday's cluster BBQ. But other than that, I'll disappear. Into the wind.

 Posted by Hello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home