Wednesday, February 07, 2007

"Nian: Cultural Learnings from HK make benefit for glorious nation of Singa-Land"

Having been here in HK for close to two weeks, I have begun to realise the many differences that HK-ers have with Singaporeans.
1) Holding Doors Open
People here generally DO NOT hold doors open for you. I'm saying this from pure experience. You could be standing at the lift lobby with a dozen people, and if the lift opens and all of them rush in, leaving you gazing at that interesting poster about a seminar this evening, then too bad. Wait for the next lift - and be alert next time.
No one's gonna call you to join them in the lift. Its too much of a squeeze.
When we hold doors open for others on the corridor, most of the time you'd expect some form of reciprocatory "thank you" gesture. Perhaps a word of "Thanks" or "不该". I seldom get it here. But I still do it anyway.
Its probably ingrained in me from young, you know... Singapore's "好公民" syllabus and all.
2) Food
HK-ers don't really favour eating chilli. The most spicy thing I've had here was Chilli oil...which I always remember to get (asking them for 辣椒浆 or Chilli sauce won't do...there's no such thing here. No sambal, no chicken rice chilli. Not even sliced fresh ones. Zilch). Chilli oil = closest thing to spicy stuff u get ard here.
SO... my food ends up being really red and oily...cos I love my chilli. Yeah. Bring it on. (I need to ask my brother to bring some sambal for me when he comes during CNY).
Singapore's "Hong-Kong" food are definitely better than those "Chinese" outlets you find in the UK (believe you me when i say this, from personal experience). At least you get proper Cha Siew. Sort of. But its no where close to HK style Roasts. The slices are THICK and JUICY. not shrimpy and dried as if it were some beef-jerky from a packet (as you would get in UK "炒面", or rather "Chow Mein").
3) Talking in Classes
Now...if there is one pet peeve that I have, it MUST be people yakking non-stop in classes.
I'm not talking about *whisper-whisper-hush-hush-other's-may-hear" kind of talking. What I'm talking about is a full-blown conversation taking place, in the middle of the lecture!
Having attended two weeks worth of lectures, I dare say that it happens in all my lectures. So its a common trend, and not simply abt Suzy whispering to Mandy about her new makeup kit.
And the thing is, most lecturers don't care. The Ang Moh ones do - and often tell the offenders to keep quiet (in the nicest, most sarcastic way you could imagine). But the local teachers probably have been used to the system, and just let it go...as if it was "Ah well, its just the bird's chirping outside the window. Leave them be".
Even with all these grievances, I'm still happy and thankful for being here. At least I'm experiencing yet another different culture from Singapore's "down-at-the-bottom-of-the-well" mentality. I like the weather here...not cold, dry enough (so I don't sweat tsunamis when I go running). I like the food too...cos only in Hong Kong, can you experience authentic "Hong Kong style Wanton Mee" (which by the way, I have not tried yet. Only cooked it by myself from frozen alternatives. I'll go search out a good stall and tell you later).

I like the library too...its one of my favourite haunts here. I've been using it as my unofficial DVD rental place (best of all, its free, and I get to bring the DVDs out for a wk). Also just borrowed "The Da Vinci Code" (yes, I know some of u have already read it...spare me pls, and let me just enjoy the humour) and "Rules of Engagement" (about the Iraq War in 2003).
Still having many cultural learnings to attend to...but I'm keen as ever to explore and discover (instead of merely cooping myself up to "Singapore" mentality...and comparing ).
Disclaimer: The 'rants' above are factual...and are simply observations I made about differences...not meant to be comparisons in anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home